Main Functions and Missions of the Georgian Defence Forces
Missions and functions of the GDF are defined by the Law on Defence and include such objectives as protection of independence, protection of the territorial integrity and fulfilment of the international agreements. The GDF performs these functions under the direction and authority of the Minister of Defense, according to the principles of democratic civilian control. In order to fulfil the national interests of Georgia, the GDF has set forth the following missions:
• To maintain forces in a high state of readiness;
• To carry out political decisions made by the executive and legislative branches of the Georgian Government;
• To identify threats based on the current military-political situation;
• To develop the force structure of the GDF;
• To accomplish military cooperation in accordance with international treaties and agreements.